Since Billy and I worked off-location, other members of the team who worked on-site conducted research, talked with users, and learned their frustrations. Billy and I gathered this information, developed a number of personas, and came up with some actionable recommendations for the new interface.
I started the design process by sketching up possible workflows and wireframes for each task that the user was trying to accomplish. I then prototyped and tested these ideas through photoshop mockups, basic UI animations, and high-fidelity prototypes. After getting approval on these designs, I started on the front-end development of the templates using HTML, CSS & jQuery.
While working on all of this, I maintained a heavy focus on visual design. I intentionally chose specific colors and typography to project a professional feeling and to reinforce the UBC brand. I also had to think of priorities and constraints, making sure all teammates were all on the same page and managing expectations as the project moved forward.